Conservatorium orchestral ensembles
Eligibility, registration and audition information for students wishing to participate in orchestral ensembles at the Conservatorium.
Students who play an orchestral instrument and wish to enrol or participate in the following ensembles are required to audition:
- Symphony Orchestra
- Wind Symphony
- Philharmonic Orchestra
- Concert Band
- Brass Ensemble
- String Ensemble
Eligibility to participate in orchestral, instrumental and/or chamber ensembles will be determined by live audition, to be arranged before the beginning of the first semester, or a recorded audition completed mid-year. In some cases, participation in multiple ensembles will be required, as directed by the appropriate Instrumental Head of Department.
Read the Orchestral Ensemble Overview (pdf)
Before auditioning, students must read through the 2019 Orchestral Ensembles Code of Conduct and the 2019 Orchestral Ensembles Rehearsal and Performance Schedule for their ensemble of interest. These documents outline the time commitment and expectations of participation in any ensemble at The University of Melbourne. By applying to audition you are agreeing to these terms.
Information on how to enrol, enrolment and re-enrolment can all be found on the student enrolment and re-enrolment page.
After receiving specific ensemble placements in week one of the semester, Honours and Masters students must register their ensemble participation using the appropriate form.
As a student, it is your responsibility to ensure that you complete the administrative requirements of your degree. This includes ensuring your enrolment is finalised prior to the census date of each subject.
Any student experiencing enrolment issues relating to the Orchestral Ensembles subject must contact STOP1 for further assistance.
Any student who wishes to participate not-for-credit, does so with prior understanding that they cannot be enrolled retrospectively in the subject at any time after the census date, and must still audition and adhere to the 2019 Orchestral Ensembles Code of Conduct and 2019 Orchestral Ensembles Rehearsal and Performance Schedule.
Any Breadth students who wish to participate specifically in the Concert Band only are not required to audition but need to be at an equivalent of AMEB Grade seven or high grade for VCE solo performance. Please contact Edwina Dethridge to register your interest prior to the start of semester.
If you are a breadth student who would like to be considered for an ensemble other than Concert Band, you will be required to audition.
Questions concerning enrolment in instrumental ensembles for breadth can be emailed to the Coordinator of Ensembles, Mx Tonié Field.
Those students interested in String Ensemble, please contact A/Prof. Curt Thompson.
Those students interested in Brass Ensemble, please contact Dr Joel Brennan.
Wind and Brass students who are BMus/Diploma and do not audition will be placed in Concert Band.
Please contact Joseph Lallo for information regarding saxophone placements in any large ensemble or if you are interested in auditioning for the Conservatorium Big Band.
Percussion Ensemble is restricted to current BMus percussion students and no audition is required.
Diploma in Percussion and Percussion Minor Practical Music students may be admitted by audition and/or at Head of Department’s recommendation.
Percussion students who are BMus/Diploma and elect not to audition for either of the Conservatorium orchestras, will be placed in Wind Symphony or Concert Band at the Head of Department's discretion.
Please contact Peter Neville with any questions regarding Percussion ensemble placements.
Auditions for 2019 will be held during Orientation. Note the below details are subject to change and a confirmation email will be sent to you upon registration.
9.15am - 10.15am
10.45am - 11.45am
12.45pm - 1.45pm
2.00pm - 3.00pm
3.15pm - 4.15pm
Monday 18 Feb - No Auditions
Tuesday 19 Feb - Brass (Horn, Tuba and Euphonium only)
Wednesday 20 Feb - Wind (all except Clarinet and Bassoon)
Thursday 21 Feb - Strings (Violin, Viola, Double Bass)
Friday 22 Feb - Wind (all)
Monday 25 Feb - Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello)
Tuesday 26 Feb - Wind (all except Bassoon)
Wednesday 27 Feb - Brass (Trumpets and Trombones only)
Thursday 28 Feb - No auditions
Friday 1 March - Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello and Harp)
Mid-Year Auditions for Orchestral Ensembles
IF YOU AUDITIONED IN FEBRUARY 2019
- It is not compulsory for students who auditioned in semester 1 to audition again but you may want to reaudition for the experience or to be considered for higher places within the ensembles (if a place is available).
- If you do reaudition please note that your original audition mark can go up or down and therefore affect your current place. For example if you are in Wind Symphony you may be demoted to Concert Band.
- If any students who auditioned at the start of the year want to re-audition, they must have both the support of their Head of Area AND their teacher. Your teacher must contact Richard Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org) and cc in your respective Head of Area and provide a brief summary of why a reaudition should be permitted.
IF YOU HAVE NOT AUDITIONED IN 2019
- If you are interested in participating in the Orchestral Ensembles subject, please read the information (including attachments) on this page.
- You will need to submit a recorded audition as per the information below.
- Please note a successful audition does not necessarily guarantee a place in an Orchestral Ensemble. New auditionees will be placed in an ensemble if a vacant position exists.
- The deadline for submitting a recorded audition is close of business Thursday 4 July 2019.
- Required excerpts for all instruments are available below (these are the same orchestral excerpts from Semester 1 auditions).
- There will be no live auditions unless requested by the Head of Orchestral Studies.
- Ensure that your high-quality audio recording follows the guidelines below:
- All auditions will need to be submitted via the Slideroom link below.
- Allowed media types: video (up to 250MB), audio (up to 30MB), other types (.zip each) (up to 10MB each), external media (YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud).
- Recorded in one single take, no editing.
Students must record the entire audition excerpt list in the order they are listed and without piano/accompaniment.
Students must provide start times for each excerpt.
If there are more than two bars rest in any excerpt these should not be observed.
- If your recording is a password protected link, ensure that you provide the password otherwise it cannot be assessed.
- Please ensure you perform your audition in an appropriate space (i.e away from other noises and distractions).
Any further questions contact:
Edwina Dethridge | Orchestra and Wind Symphony Coordinator
Melbourne Conservatorium of Music | Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
T: +613 9035 4201 M: 0466 016 107
Orchestral Ensemble Audition 2019 excerpts for all ensembles are below:
Please contact Edwina Dethridge, Orchestra and Wind Symphony Coordinator, for all other questions.