Eligibility, registration, program and audition information for students wishing to participate in baroque ensembles at the Conservatorium.
Is scheduled weekly each Friday 1pm to 4pm (students must attend for two hours within this timeframe).
This course aims to give integrity, intention and direction to Historical Performance at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music to enable students to build confidence, knowledge and expertise on their instruments and to expand their horizons with practical experience on period instruments, and in the use of historical performance styles. The ensemble is divided into tutti and instrumental groups. The performance pitch is A415Hz and repertoire is tailored to the composition of each group. Weekly classes culminate in an end-of-semester performance or recording. Through reviewing two performances or recent recordings of a live concert on period instruments, students will learn to evaluate historically informed performance practice in a contemporary context.
The following period instruments are available for hire from the Conservatorium collection: violin, viola, violoncello, viol (treble, tenor and bass), flute (traverso), recorder, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, trombone (sackbut consort), and natural horn. All other period instruments must be practiced on campus and are not available for hire.
Link to Instrument Hire Information https://finearts-music.unimelb.edu.au/current-students/bookings-and-timetables/conservatorium-instrument-loans
Auditions will only be accepted as recordings uploaded as unlisted YouTube links.
- Two short contrasting excerpts of Baroque or Classical repertoire must be submitted as two unique video links.
- At least one excerpt should demonstrate basic knowledge of ornamentation.
- Keyboard players must demonstrate a good command of figured bass.
- A modern instrument may be used if period instruments are unavailable.
- The total duration of the video links should not exceed five minutes.
- Live or recorded accompaniment is optional.
- Contact Lyndon Watts firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Baroque Ensemble Audition applications close on Sunday 17 July, 2022 at 23:59 PM.
To audition please submit an application via the following link.