Conservatorium instrument loans
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music has a selection of musical instruments including strings, woodwinds, brass and early music instruments that are available for loan to current students for use in course-related activities.
All instrument loans are subject to the recommendation of your teacher and approval of the responsible academic staff member, and organised by the Instrument Loans Manager, Infrastructure and Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org), rather than the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Student Centre.
Instrument loans require a refundable deposit of $200 and a loan fee of $100 per semester or part thereof. Certain valuable instruments may require a higher deposit.
To Organise an Instrument Loan
- Seek support of the responsible academic staff member; subject coordinator, teacher, ensemble director or convenor of instrument area, who may recommend a particular instrument to you.
- Contact the Instrument Loans Manager to reserve an instrument, obtain information about loan fees and deposit payments and make an appointment.
- The Instrument Loans Manager will issue a loan agreement form for you to sign, receive your payment, issue a receipt, and hand over the instrument.
- You will then be permitted to take the instrument off campus for practice during the Semester and keep it safely at your address.
- Students are responsible for looking after the instrument for the duration of the loan period and ensuring that the instrument is kept safe and in good repair.
- Students are not permitted to pass the instrument on to anyone else.
- Instruments must not be left in motor vehicles, unlocked rooms or otherwise left unattended.
- All instruments must be returned personally to the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Front Office or the Instrument Loans Manager.
Instruments must be returned by the due date. A penalty of $100 will be imposed immediately an instrument is overdue, with an additional charge of $5 per day imposed for each day that the instrument is late.
Pianos for Home Practice
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music has arranged a special service with a piano supplier to support students who have moved to Melbourne to study, with no piano at home, to get access to a quality upright piano for the whole academic year (March to November) at a heavily discounted rate.
The service is available from approximately $85 per month including GST, plus the removal and tuning cost.