Inbound exchange and study abroad for Music students
Students wishing to undertake music performance subjects must send an audition recording as part of your application for exchange.
- Prepare 2-3 pieces or movements of no longer than 15 minutes demonstrating your skill on the instrument you wish to study.
- Select each piece from the Western Art Music repertoire (except for electric guitar and bass).
- Pieces should be of contrasting style, period and composer (e.g. works from the Baroque, Romantic and 20th century repertoires).
- The recording must be made in a one take, unedited video format.
- Ensure that your video is not private or password-protected
- Recordings must be made no earlier than 6 months prior to application deadline
For a trial period the Conservatorium has agreed to waive the requirement of auditions from performance based music students from faculty partners. The partners to which this applies are:
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, UK
- Sibelius Academy, Helsinki, Finland
- University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz
- University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
- Chicago College of Performing Arts, USA
Students wanting to enrol in ensemble subjects may be required to meet minimum performance standard requirements and to audition for a place in the week prior to commencement of the semester. The requirements are published in the ensemble subject descriptions in the University Handbook.
Ensembles with audition requirements
Auditions are required for entry to the following:
- Chamber Orchestra
- Chamber Music
- Big Band
- Piano Duo and Duet
- Early Voices
- Baroque Ensemble
Please note that ensemble options are also available to students with little or no musical experience. For information on ensembles please see the Conservatorium Orchestral Ensembles webpage.
Ensembles with no prerequisite requirements
Ensemble subjects that have no prerequisite requirements include:
- African Drum and Dance
- Great Opera Choruses
- World Music Choir
- Chinese Music Ensemble
For further course information and application instructions please refer to the University Inbound Exchange and Study Abroad page.
To find out what life in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music is like for a current student, visit the Current Student webpage, or read music, art, stage and screen stories via Precinct.