Master of Music (Research) in Music Performance
For Students Commencing in 2019 and later
Candidates undertake a supervised project that leads to a live, public recital consisting of at least 70 minutes of repertoire (plus an interval of 10-20 minutes) supported by an integrated written work of between 8,000 and 10,000 words. The related written project must be presented in a form that can be sent with the recorded performance for assessment by external examiners.
Candidates also participate in Performance Class and Seminars and are required to present one lecture-recital during their candidature.
Supervision and Instrument Lessons
In this course students receive a combination of practical lessons and thesis supervision as follows:
- 36 hours of practical lessons on their instrument.
- 6 hours of thesis supervision.
The Master of Music (Research) specialising in Music Performance is completed over 3 semesters in the following sequence:
- Complete the Research Process for Musicians subject in the first semester of enrolment.
- Complete the thesis component to final draft stage under supervision in the second semester of enrolment.
- Student must submit the final thesis component at the end of their second semester of enrolment for their annual review. They are not able to proceed to third semester of enrolment or receive any further practical lessons until the written component is at an acceptable level for submission.
- Complete the lecture recital in Performance Seminar during the third semester of enrolment.
- Complete the recorded final recital at the conclusion of the third semester of enrolment.
The thesis and recital are submitted for examination at the end of the third semester of enrolment.
Music Performance Students are required to complete MUSI90191 The Research Process for Musicians (RHD) in their first semester of enrolment.
Every Thursday during semester at the Conservatorium as follows:
- Performance Class: 2.00pm-4.00pm, 880-G12 (Kenneth Myer Auditorium, Conservatorium Building, Sturt St Southbank).
- Rehearsal: 1.00pm-2.00pm, 880-G12 (Kenneth Myer Auditorium)
The Performance Class requirement prior to your final submission is:
- At least 27 attendances at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Performance Class and at least 12 performances at this class.