Frequently Asked Questions

Information and common questions about studying with the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music at the University of Melbourne.

Information and common questions about enrolling, studying and graduating as a research student at The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music

If you’ve applied to start your research degree in the first half of the calendar year, you will receive your outcome by the end of December.

If you’ve applied to start your research degree in the second half of the calendar year, you will receive your outcome by the end of June.

If we can let you know sooner we will but it’s important to know that the admissions process can be complex. When you apply, we assess your application, identify appropriate supervisors and check if you are eligible for any scholarships.

Once you have been accepted, you will need to complete the enrolment process.

If you have any questions, email

Once your application has been accepted, enrolment is a two-step process:

  1. Administrative Enrolment: completed by the student
  2. Course and Subject Enrolment: completed by The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office.

You can complete your Administrative Enrolment once you accept the enrolment Terms and Conditions.

You can do this by visiting the Getting started page for Domestic and International Students.

Next, you’ll need to notify The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office by sending an email to

The FFAM Research Office will then complete your enrolment and advise you when you can organise your student card at Stop 1.

Research students should visit The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office and Melbourne Scholarships website for information on research student scholarships.

Some students have reported an error message when attempting to accept the terms and conditions of their enrolment.

Before contacting the Faculty, follow these two troubleshooting steps:

  1. Check your Letter of Offer to make sure there are no outstanding conditions you are required to meet as part of a ‘conditional offer’. This could include evidence of the completion of a prior degree, evidence that you meet the English language requirements, or referee reports.
  2. If you are sure that you have satisfied all outstanding conditions, please wait for 24 hours and then try again.

If you still seeing an error message, send an email to

To get your student card, you’ll need to be enrolled. Research students must have their enrolment finalised by the Research Office of the Faculty. This is not something that you can do at Stop 1.

For research students, enrolment is a two-step process:

  1. Administrative enrolment: completed by the student
  2. Course/subject enrolment: completed by the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office.

Your administrative enrolment is completed once you accept the enrolment terms and conditions.

You can do that  by visiting the Get Started web page

Next, you’ll need to notify the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office.

Send an email to

The Research Office will then complete your enrolment and advise when you can go to Stop 1 to get your student card.

Find out how to make a request by visiting The Graduate Research Hub

Find out how to make a request by visiting The Graduate Research Hub

If you need to take time out from your studies due to sickness, family or carer responsibilities or a similar reason, you should consider applying for a leave of absence. This will grant you a period of non-enrolment, and your expected thesis submission date and progress review due dates will be adjusted.

If you receive a scholarship or are on a student visa, make sure you understand any leave of absence restrictions before you apply.

Visit the Taking Leave page of our website to find out more about applying for a Leave of Absence.

You can apply for a Leave of Absence at the Graduate Research Hub.

When you return from a Leave of Absence, you will be required to notify the University. You can also do this at the Graduate Research Hub.

Book a venue by emailing

Information for prospective students about applying, auditioning and interviewing for courses at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.

Here's an indication of what the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music application and acceptance process might look like for a domestic undergraduate applicant. The dates given here are indicative and are included for illustrative purposes only.

August to September

  1. Apply via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) by the course closing date (and pay the VTAC application fee).
  2. Complete the supplementary application form and other requirements (selection test, selection project, or upload your audition or folio) via the link sent to you by VTAC. Applicants will be charged a non-refundable application fee payable via the supplementary application. Some domestic applicants may be eligible for a waiver of the application fee if they are a Health Care Cardholder or have special circumstances.

October to November

  1. The Faculty will contact applicants to schedule an audition or interview after applications close.
  2. Attend audition/interview.

December to February

  1. You will receive an advisory letter indicating your audition or interview outcome from the Faculty in mid-December (this is not a formal offer).
  2. Based upon your advisory letter, you can make changes to your VTAC preference during the Change of Preference period if necessary.
  3. Formal VTAC offers are issued in January or early February.
  4. Accept your offer.
  5. Enrol and attend orientation activities.

Information for new applicants including important dates, audition schedules, interviews can be found on the Study website:

View Auditions and Interviews information for our courses

For our undergraduate and graduate courses, please see find your degree here and explore our Study website for more information.

As soon as you've decided to apply, it's time to start getting ready. Make sure you're fully informed of everything you'll need for your application. Remember that our applications involve a two-stage process: you will need to complete your course application and complete requirements as relevant for the course e.g. an audition, supply a folio or attend an interview.

There is no minimum ATAR required for Bachelor of Fine Arts courses.

For the Performance/Composition/Ethnomusicology specialisation of the Bachelor of Music, applicants’ ATAR scores will be considered alongside the audition results as part of the selection process.

If you're planning to apply, you must understand the required prerequisites and the English language requirements.


A prerequisite is something you need to complete before you apply.

For example:

  • The Master of Music Therapy requires completion of a single unit of psychology for entry.

If you’re considering applying for more than one course, make sure you understand the prerequisite for each program.

English language requirements

Everyone who applies to the University Melbourne must meet the English language requirements. At undergraduate level, this is usually satisfied through completion of an approved English subject at Year 12 (or equivalent) level. Not all states in Australia require this, so it is important to check your status.

Visit our website to find out more about the English language requirements.

Before you apply, it’s a good idea to take the time to learn as much as you can about the area in which you hope to build your career and the approach and training available through the Faculty.

All applicants applying for the Bachelor of Fine Arts courses or the Bachelor of Music must apply via VTAC, except international students studying overseas, who should apply directly via the University of Melbourne website.

Please refer to the Study website for information relevant for each course, and how to apply.

You will receive a confirmation email once your supplementary application has been submitted. If you do not receive a confirmation email, firstly please check your junk mail folder and then get in touch with our admissions team by contacting us via the web form.

Please see the Auditions and Interviews page for course-specific dates and important information.

All applicants will receive a link to self-book their interview time at least two weeks prior to the interview period. There’s no need to contact us beforehand. For most of our courses, interviews for start-of-year entry occur in October and November. For mid-year entry, the majority of interviews take place in May and June.

If there are dates you are unavailable (e.g. because of a VCE exam or similar), please let us know as soon as possible by contacting our admissions team here.

For VTAC applicants, we will send you an advisory letter in December with the outcome of your audition or interview. This isn’t a formal offer into the course, but it’s an indication of how you performed in your audition or interview so that you can adjust your VTAC preferences if needed.

Formal offers will be made in January or February, please refer to the VTAC website for details of offer rounds.

Yes. Please refer to the information regarding advanced standing.

For undergraduate courses, no late applications are accepted. Some graduate courses may offer flexibility in the course application deadlines. Check the guidelines for your course before getting in touch with any further questions.

If you don't receive an offer for the course you applied for, you can investigate short courses or studying a single subject with the University.

Explore short courses

Explore single subject study

Explore breadth studies

Information and common questions about booking rooms and resources at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.

The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music uses ASIMUT for room booking, timetabling and event management.

Log in to ASIMUT to book a room, using either the desktop or mobile platform.

The Faculty of Fine Arts and Music uses ASIMUT for room booking, timetabling and event management.

Log in to ASIMUT to book a room, using either the desktop or mobile platform.

You can log in to ASIMUT using either the desktop or mobile platform.

You’ll need to use your University username and password. Only Faculty of Fine Arts and Music students will be able to log in to ASIMUT.

Please submit an enquiry using the Timetable and Room Booking Student Enquiry Form

Your timetable will show the individual subjects you’ve enrolled in. If a subject isn’t showing in your timetable, you might not be enrolled in that subject. If you’ve enrolled in a subject within the last day, check again tomorrow as your timetable will take 24 hours to update.

Only subjects that are taught within the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music will appear in ASIMUT. Any subject that you enrol in outside the Faculty, like a breadth subject, will not appear.

Quotas allow for fair access to spaces and prevent any spaces being booked out by a single person. If you've used your quota, it will refresh the next day.

In ASIMUT, you can see your booking quota, which is the number of hours you can book per day, or over a period of time.

There are three types of quotas:

  1. xxx is the total overall number of hours of your quota limit, which is broken down into:
    • Quota for xxx date is the number of hours that can be booked on that date
    • Peak quota is the number of hours that can be booked during business hours which are Monday–Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm

Different types of quotas

If you have reached your daily quota limit, you can book a space if there is one free in the next two hours.

No, you are unable to transfer quotas.

Your supervisor will need to contact the support office using the enquiry form.

Submit an enquiry using the Timetable and Room Booking Student Enquiry Form

We anticipate changes to quotas over time based on how much space is being booked. We will be seeking feedback from students on a regular basis to ensure quotas are being used effectively and the system is working for everyone.

You can only book spaces that are needed for study in your discipline area. Please check the side panel of the location’s site for information. If you are not permitted to book a space, you will see the following message when attempting to book that space:

Not permitted message

Yes, by clicking into a space to make a booking, you can see useful information about that space on the left-hand side of the screen. This will show you a photo of the space, the inventory in the space and the dates and times the space is available to book.

More information about a space

Choose a location to book by selecting the ‘Please book primarily here’ link on the left-hand side of the screen. This will show all the spaces that are available for you to book and which have been prioritised for you. If you are on the mobile interface, it will automatically select only the rooms you can book.

Please book primarily here

Each space contains a set of useful information about that space, including who can book the space. If it requires an induction, please contact the technical person of that area to arrange one. Specialised technical spaces including Space 28, Riding School, Costume and Stagecraft workshops, are unavailable for bookings by students.

As a music student, you have access Building 141 and all available practice rooms in the building accessible with your student card. The Basement Grand Piano Practice Rooms, B81 and Loughlin Room in building 147 are all also available to book on ASIMUT.

Tallis and Melba Hall are not available for students to book except under special circumstances.

Make a special circumstances request by sending an email

Yes, you can amend or cancel by clicking inside the booking you have made.

To attach others to a booking, choose a category that allows group bookings from the drop-down menu, then type in the names of the students who will be attending with you. If you are unable to choose a category, this option is not available for your group.

If you are part of the cohort that needs to access to a drop-in space, such as a workshop or design studio, your student card will gain you entry. Some rooms have a pin code for entrance, which students will be given at the start of the semester. If you want to access a space and you are not part of the cohort that has access, you are unable to use the space.

The technical support officer in your area can assist you with that if the request is made in advance.

For more information send us an email enquiry

Call Southbank Campus Services on +61 3 9035 9311

External venue hire

Please note, the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music is not accepting new requests for third-party venue hire.

To inquire about booking a venue at the Parkville campus, please visit our website.

Frequently asked questions about Conservatorium accompanists

The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music appoints accompanists to meet student needs for classes, assessment requirements and allied activities. The approved accompanists list provides students access to musicians with a high level of accompanying experience and capacity across a wide range of vocal and instrumental fields.

View the Approved Accompanist List

The following classes have scheduled accompanists:

  • Instrumental/Voice Class
  • Concert Class (Thursday)
  • Performance Class: Bachelor of Music (Honours) and Performance Five and Six.

For the following classes, any accompanist from the Conservatorium's list of approved accompanists may be used:

  • Performance Class: Master of Music (Performance Teaching)
  • Performance Class: Master of Music (Music Performance)

View the Approved Accompanist List

The Head of Department or the Performance/Concert Class Coordinator will notify students of the scheduled accompanist each week.

Instrumental, concert and performance (honours and performance study) class: one 15-minute rehearsal with the scheduled accompanist for the class, plus the performance.

Master of Music (Performance Teaching) and Master of Music (Music Performance) classes: one one-hour rehearsal with any accompanist from the Conservatorium's list of approved accompanists and the performance in class.

View the Approved Accompanist List

Contact the accompanist directly to coordinate rehearsals.

You can perform in class with an accompanist of your choice but if you choose to use an accompanist that is not scheduled for the class, you are responsible for the cost of the rehearsal and performance.

Contemporary music students are able to apply for special permission to use an accompanist outside of the Conservatorium's list of approved accompanists by emailing the Faculty Academic Support Office.

View the Approved Accompanist List

Email your request to

Yes. You should rehearse with your accompanist for as long as possible to ensure the greatest preparation for your recital examination. However, if you use more than your allocated allowance, you'll need to pay the accompanist for the extra time directly.

Special permission can be sought from the Faculty Academic Support Office to have an allocation calculated on a proportional basis. For example, you might need to split your allocation equally between two associate artists.

Email your request to

No. The Conservatorium does not provide an accompanist allowance to facilitate technical examinations.

No. Students are entitled to an accompanist allowance based on the subject enrolled, and we cannot cover additional hours incurred due to special consideration and deferred examinations.

No. It is often encouraged that students work with other students during performance classes, but the Conservatorium does not pay for accompanists who are not on the approved accompanist list.

You'll need to pay any accompanist who not on the list directly. This can't be reimbursed.

View the Approved Accompanist List

Normally, completion of a postgraduate qualification in music performance together with at least three years accompanying at the professional level constitute basic eligibility to lodge an application. It is important to understand that sessional accompanying is not a teaching role.

Do not contact members of staff directly regarding your application. Instead, prepare the following application materials:

  • a detailed CV outlining qualifications, experience and a sample repertoire list demonstrating the range and level of repertoire in an accompanying role as well as a list of appropriate performances over the last three years. Please include name, email and phone contact information.
  • web-based, video recorded material demonstrating a professional level of concert accompaniment (at least 45 minutes in total) in at least three areas from the following: strings, woodwind, brass, voice or chamber music. Dates of the performances should be provided.
  • two written references from professional (performing) musicians of standing that are not more than six months old and which comment directly on accompanying experience and capacity. The referees need to be available for further consultation if needed. If previous contact with academic staff from the Conservatorium is relevant, this may be indicated as well.

Send all materials by email to

If you are not selected, you can reapply one year after your original application. Decisions made by the institution regarding accompanying selection are not open to review or further discussion.

Send your question by email to

Information on finding, applying and receiving a scholarship or award through the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music at the University of Melbourne

There are a range of scholarships, fee remissions, prizes, bursaries and awards available to undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni of the Faculty. Some are specific to an artistic discipline or area of study, while others are available Faculty-wide. Scholarships may be awarded on the basis of merit, financial need, results or through a competitive application process.

Visit our Scholarships web page to find out more about scholarships

Once you are accepted into your course and have enrolled in a program, there are a variety of scholarships and awards you are eligible to apply for. These include merit and equity scholarships at undergraduate and graduate level.

Scholarships are advertised in a variety of ways:

  • Available scholarships information will be sent to you at your Unimelb email address
  • Staff members in your discipline will be advised of scholarships for which you are eligible, and will encourage you to apply
  • You will be sent a message through the Student Portal.

The scholarships we offer are funded either by annual donation or by the interest received annually. Due to the fluctuating nature of interest rates, we can only confirm the exact amount once the annual financial report is delivered in early February.

Applicant eligibility will be outlined in the Criteria and Eligibility section for each scholarship. Eligibility may include year level, course of study, gender, citizenship, qualification or financial need.

The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) offers several scholarship opportunities through the VTAC application process including the SEAS Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS) program. Read all the information on the VTAC website thoroughly to make sure you apply for any scholarships you are eligible for.

Find out more about VTAC scholarship opportunities

Access Melbourne is the University of Melbourne's combined SEAS scholarships scheme for students from educationally, financially or socially disadvantaged backgrounds. It provides applicants with the opportunity to explain the ongoing circumstances that have affected their chance of gaining a place at the University of Melbourne and allow them to be considered for a place even if they have not achieved the Guaranteed Entry standard.

Learn more about Access Melbourne scholarship opportunities.

Applications for scholarships that have a financial need component have two steps. To be considered both steps must be completed by the application closing date. Make sure allow enough time to complete both by the application closing date.

Step 1: Scholarship Application

Refer to the Open and Closing Dates section on the individual scholarship page for the application link. The link will only be visible during the application period. The application will require personal information, including course and year level, and some questions addressing the selection criteria. You will be required to attach some documents, such as your CV and academic transcript.

Step 2: Student Financial Assistance Application

To assist with the assessment of your application you are required to submit an online Student Financial Assistance Application by the application closing date. If you already have submitted a Student Financial Assistance Application in the last six months you do not need to apply again but you can update and re-submit your details before the closing date.

Submit an Online Student Financial Assistance Application.

Research students should visit the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Research Office and Melbourne Scholarships for information regarding research student scholarships.

Most of the scholarships offered by the Faculty are for both international and domestic students unless otherwise specified. Check the eligibility information for the scholarship you’re interested in, as it will specify if it’s for domestic students only.

Yes, however if you are studying part time and receive a lump sum scholarship, you may need to declare the payment amount as assessable income in your tax return. Please see the ATO website or seek independent tax advice for further information.

If you receive a stipend scholarship, you will be asked to provide your tax file number and your payments will be taxed.

Read more about scholarships and tax on the ATO website.

The adjudicators are looking for applicants who meet all the eligibility and criteria requirements. Applications should be well-written and considered. Applications that are succinct and to the point are preferred. Consider addressing:

  • your current position, whether academically, artistically or financially
  • how you envisage the scholarship will help you in these areas, should you be chosen. It may, for example:
    • help with your living costs
    • plans to further your studies
    • access to course materials, software, equipment or instruments
    • fund a specific project you have in mind

In general, consistently performing students with above-average grades are the preferred candidates for any VCA or Conservatorium scholarship but this will depend on the eligibility and criteria requirements.

Information and commonly asked questions about support for Indigenous students applying to or studying with the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are interested in studying at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music can access support from the Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development.

Staff in the Wilin Centre can provide:

  • Advice on appropriate and relevant courses available
  • Assistance with the application process
  • Assistance in preparing for auditions, interviews and portfolio presentations
  • Advice on Abstudy, scholarships, grants and other financial assistance
  • Assistance with relocation and housing.

Wilin and Abstudy may also provide individuals who are interested in becoming a student at the Faculty with travel and accommodation assistance to attend auditions and interviews.

Learn more about the Wilin Centre.

The Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development provides support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and artists in a variety of ways:

  • Cultural support through provision of a culturally safe environment and specific programs
  • Advice and advocacy regarding student allowances such as Abstudy and Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS)
  • Promotion and development of Indigenous scholarships and grants
  • Housing assistance
  • Referrals to specialist Indigenous organisations
  • Pastoral support
  • Financial assistance
  • Academic and personal advocacy
  • Wominjeka orientation program
  • Community access to Faculty facilities.

Learn more about the Wilin Centre.

Information about attending Faculty of Fine Arts and Music events and visiting the campus

Sign up here for the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music newsletter.

All of our events information is posted on our Upcoming Events page.

We want everyone to experience the creativity, innovation and talents of our students and staff. For general information about the access services available at our various events, please visit Access Our Events .

To view the specific access measures in place at each event, please visit the Upcoming Events page and select the event you are interested in attending, or get in touch with us at if you have any questions.

If you’re looking for musicians including classical, jazz or contemporary musicians, or performers, including cabaret acts, piano bar singers, request-a-song artists, dancers, MCs, street acts and roving performers, you can find an index of Faculty of Fine Arts and Music graduates here:

Explore graduate listings

Art is available for sale during graduation shows. Sign up to the Faculty mailing list for information on when these shows are held.

Sign up here

The best way to get a taste of life at the Faculty is to visit the Parkville and Southbank campuses on Open Day. This is an opportunity to meet our students, see the facilities, talk to academic teaching staff and experience our vibrant culture. Sign up to the Faculty mailing list for information on Open Days.

Sign up here

VCA students hold a series of public screenings at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) in December each year.

In addition, all our graduate productions are held in the Lenton Parr Music, Visual and Performing Arts Collection (Southbank Library) collection in either VHS or DVD format.

Find out more about joining the library

Information about breadth subjects and disciplines within the VCA and Conservatorium

In 2019 there are 8 planned subjects for the School of Art Breadth program. If you cannot enrol in one subject you may wish to try and enrol in others. These are:

Once a subject is full, places do occasionally come up. We don’t offer a waiting list for Breadth subjects, so you’ll need to keep checking online to see if you can enrol.

Because staff don’t track enrolment numbers, we cannot tell you if there are any places.

When you’re planning to enrol, make sure you keep an eye on

If you need assistance or have questions about enrolment or registration please contact Stop 1.

e.g. I want to change from Painting Techniques Summer to Painting Techniques February

Some of our subjects have quotas and if both availabilities for the same subject have reached quota, you will not be able to change availability.

We recommend you familiarise yourself with the Enrolment Dates and subject delivery dates to avoid disappointment.

Please note quota subjects often fill up very quickly when re-enrolment opens.

Contact Stop 1 if you need any assistance with enrolling or withdrawing.

All of our Breadth subjects in VCA Art are designed to be suitable for students with little or no previous art making experience, though they can also cater to those who have made art in the past, and can suit students who have previously undertaken a VCA Art Breadth subject or similar. The classes are very much based around helping you to learn the various techniques and skills required to successfully complete the subject.

You need to contact the subject coordinator to discuss this.

Registrations open at different times, depending on when the subject is starting. For registration opening times specific to the availability/delivery period that you are enrolled in, please see the information here:

Please note: if you are enrolled in an intensive you will need to open up the “Intensive Subjects” tab below the main table.

If registration has already opened for your subject and you are having trouble registering, please contact Stop 1 for assistance.

The University has an Open Day in August each year. Our academic staff are available for personal course-related enquiries on this day and our facilities open for inspection.